Tuesday, July 27, 2010

"The Office" Must Go On (So Says NBC)


Today, NBC confirmed Steve Carell's exit from "The Office" at the end of next season. The actor himself said so awhile ago, but the network has been in denial. NBC also confirmed that the show will continue on without Carell's Michael Scott. Sigh.

It wasn't too long ago where I was borderline obsessed with "The Office." When you live 15 minutes away from Scranton, it tends to feel personal. Thursdays were my favorite day of the week again. That second and third season, I practically drooled over every episode. In 2007, my boyfriend and I sat on the bedroom floor and rolled coins so we could afford VIP tickets to "The Office" Convention in Scranton. It was thrilling. I was super defensive of any critics of the show. I stuck with them through Jim's move, the Connecticut branch closing and moving in with Scranton, Pam's stint in art school... the whole thing.

But now... I'm almost ashamed. I still have not seen the last few episodes of this season. After Jim and Pam's wedding, which was a great episode, I almost no longer cared. Everyone in the show is great, but I was fully invested in their relationship. After they were officially married, it's like everything I watched for had been realized. That wasn't a conscious decision. But I can't think of any other reason.

Maybe the show should end. This will be it's seventh season. That's a great life span for a sitcom. There's nothing worse than watching a once great show putter to a weak end. (Friends, Seinfeld... NBC, hello?)

But it's too late. The show is going on without Michael Scott. No disrespect to the ensemble cast. They're awesome. But it will be a very different show without Michael.

There was a very important balance of heart and stupidity, ego and emotion. This was a lesson they had to relearn on "Parks and Recreation" with Leslie Knope. She only started to work when she reacted with heart. Otherwise, the stupidity and ego feel too harsh or too dull. It works in England with Ricky Gervias. It doesn't work in America were sitcoms run for years and years.

Who can replace Carell? Dwight Schrute? Holly Flax? Somebody new? Whoever it is, they must be different and interesting enough to highlight the ensemble. I wish the best for Dunder Mifflin.

(Photo Credit: NBC)

No comments:

Post a Comment