Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Toy Story 3: Not Just a Child's Play Thing

Since 1995, I've seen every Pixar film in theaters with only one exception: A Bug's Life. I waited for the VHS on that one. So excluding one, that's ten films. Starting with Monsters Inc., I've seen every film more than once in theaters. That's because I was finally at age where I didn't need a parent to drive me to the movie theater. Let's see...

Monsters Inc. - 3 times
Finding Nemo - 3 times
The Incredibles - 2 times
Cars - 3 times
Ratatouille - 2 times
Wall-E - at least 5 times
Up - 2 times
Toy Story 3 - once

Okay, now keep in mind there are a lot of different factors as to why I saw some more than others. Clearly, Wall-E was just my favorite. I wish that film was in theaters permanently. But I've only seen Toy Story 3 once. And it's not for a lack of loving the movie. I loved it. Genius. Not for a lack of money or time, either. It's because ... it hurts.

Most Pixar movies have major emotional moments. Whenever Andrew Stanton writes and/or directs, you know death isn't far behind. And why not? It's part of what makes these movies more than kids fare. Up hits me very hard - I sob through the entire opening and then again at the end of the second act. I still saw that one twice.

But I cannot seem to bring myself to watch Toy Story 3 again, no matter how good it is. The mere thought of watching those toys, the ones my friends and I spent recess mimicking in the 5th grade, hold hands as they accept their fate... it breaks my heart.

My love of Woody, Buzz, and the rest of the gang helped me define myself. Toy Story 2 came out in 1999. I was a freshman in high school. My two best friends and I planned to see the movie opening night. While at our friend's house, we were playing on her computer. Suddenly a boy we liked IMed her. He asked what we were doing that night. The three of us looked at each other. Do we lie? Say "hanging out at the mall duh. u?"  Or maybe there was a more teen-appropriate movie we could say we're seeing. No. Collectively we agreed to tell him the truth, and let his judgements fall where they may. Anyone who's been a 14-year-old knows how difficult it is to risk sounding uncool. We had every opportunity to change our story. But we didn't. The boy made fun of us, of course. But the moral of the story? We stayed true to who we were. It wasn't easy. But it was the beginning of a long lesson in staying true to yourself.

So how could I watch Andy struggle with his decision? I wanted to yell at the screen "Take them to college! Who cares?" Andy's final decision was brave and selfless. Admirable traits. Great ending. Doesn't matter. It's a coming of age story that hits too close to home. I live through it. Why must I watch Woody and Buzz go through it, too?

I am hoping to see Toy Story 3 one more time before it goes out of theaters. But it's taken me six weeks. And I'm still not fully recovered. I just hope that little girl loves those toys as much as I do.

(Image Credit: Pixar)

No comments:

Post a Comment